Pages

Monday 16 May 2022

John 14:19,20 - You will know that I am in my Father

14:19

While Jesus was walking on the earth the world could see Him, “world” here referring essentially to the Jews. But after the cross they would see Him no more. The disciples, however, would see Him, for He would appear to them. “Because I live, you also will live”. The resurrection that Jesus went through is the same as the resurrection we will experience. Death is not the end for us, for we will be raised from the dead. That this verse is so clearly referring to the resurrection is the reason why some see the previous verse as referring to Jesus meeting the disciples after the resurrection. The general trinitarian nature of the chapter is the reason I favour the Holy Spirit view as noted above. In one sense we do not need to make a hard and fast choice. Jesus was not leaving them alone, God has not just left us to get on with it. God is with us.


14:20

“In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.” We cannot be dogmatic about what “that day” refers to. The resurrection encounters with Jesus obviously brought some light to them, and the work of the Holy Spirit brought even more light. They would appreciate the complete unity between the Father and the Son, and our unity with Christ. In Rom 6:3,4 Paul talks about out being united with Christ is His death and His resurrection.


No comments:

Post a Comment