Pages

Thursday 2 July 2020

Jeremiah 10:19-22 - Woe to me because of my injury

10:19

In 10:19-22 Jeremiah seems to be voicing his response and feelings to what God has said. When he talks about “my wound” he is speaking as if he is representing all of Israel. He is also voicing the response that Israel should make, and that is to accept the extent and nature of their sin. It is also the response that every person needs to make. We need to accept the nature of our sin and sinfulness, and that it is “incurable”. There is nothing we can do to make ourselves better. “This is my sickness and I must endure it”. Sin is my problem, I cannot blame anyone or anything else for it. I must accept responsibility. Israel had to endure the suffering that would come. We now know that Jesus endured the judgement that our sin deserves. He suffered in our place. We should also read this together with Isaiah 53:5.


10:20-22

Jeremiah continues his lament, speaking on behalf of Israel. “My children are gone ..” Many people would be carried off into exile, leaving only a few people in Jerusalem. So there would be no one to help rebuild.

And why was this happening? Because the “shepherds are senseless”. The leaders of the nation, civic or religious, did not inquire of the Lord. Today leaders are held in deep suspicion if they are Christians who pray. The truth is that people who do not seek the Lord are acting foolishly. Because of the senselessness of the leaders the land did not prosper, and they would be scattered far and wide.

“Listen! The report is coming ...” Babylon was getting ready to invade, a great attack would come from the north.


No comments:

Post a Comment