Pages

Thursday 8 October 2020

Jeremiah 29:11,12 - For I know the plans I have for you

29:11

“For I know the plans I have for you”, declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future”. As I said a little earlier, this is an oft quoted verse, but usually with little regard for the context. Israel was in exile because of her sin, she was being actively judged by the Lord. The natural feeling would be that God had it in for her. The truth was that God was bringing salvation for Israel. When the church talks about sin it is viewed as bad news, and so many Christians and churches stop talking about sin, trying to be more “seeker friendly”. This is a bad mistake.


29:12

“Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” This is precisely what Judah had not been doing, at least not with any integrity. They had looked to their own resources, they had called upon idols,they had gone to other nations in the hope of salvation from their enemies.  When an individual or a people are trusting God they will call upon Him for salvation. Asking is sometimes portrayed as a second class form of prayer. Now, it is true that asking should be all that we do in prayer, but it is an essential aspect of prayer for the man or woman of God, and it is a first class form of prayer. Just look at Jesus’ teaching on prayer, often it involves asking.


No comments:

Post a Comment