Pages

Saturday 8 October 2022

Your word is a lamp (Psalm 119:105)

Discovered today that there was a glitch in my scheduling and there was not Romans post scheduled for today. Rather than reschedule about seventy posts I am just going to add a wee extra. 
I am reading Kevin Vanhoozer's book Hearers & Doers, and on p104 he refers to C S Lewis' statement "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because I see everything else by it". The Psalmist writes in Ps 119:105 that "Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path". We live in a dangerous world with many unsettling things happening. We have had (still have?) the whole covid situation, there is war in Ukraine, there is the energy crisis and economic turmoil. In the UK politics is in a state of confusion and collapse. Then there is the whole woke madness. It is important that in these days that we do not allow our vision to be distorted or governed by the events going on around us. Instead we must let the word of God be our guide and illuminate the path ahead for us.  This does not mean that we pretend the turmoil isn't happening, nor that we bury our heads in the sand, tempting as that might be. Instead we accept the reality of what is happening, but we interpret what is happening in the light of God's word, and we let His word guide and direct us, not the fear and so-called wisdom of the world.
Back to Romans tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment