Pages

Monday 18 July 2022

John 19:28-30 - It is finished!

19:28,29

The end is now near. Jesus cries out that He thirsts, the circumstances of crucifixion would contribute to that thirst, and the thirst would be part of the torture that was crucifixion. “I thirst” fulfilling Scripture is probably a reference to Ps 69:21, “They gave me poison for food, and for my thirst they gave me sour wine to drink.” The wine he is given is not the “wine mixed with myrrh” of Mark 15:23, which Jesus refused. That wine was given to dull the pain (probably to a very limited degree), Jesus refused that. This was sour wine that would only prolong the agony.


19:30

 “It is finished”, tetelestai. This does not merely mean the end of something, but the completion of a task or purpose. Jesus’ atoning work on the cross was now complete. So He now bowed His head and gave up His spirit. In John 10:15 and 10:17 Jesus talks about laying down His life. And in John 10:18 “No one takes it from me, I lay it down of my own accord”. On the cross it was Jesus who was in control. His life was not taken from Him, but He laid down His life for our sakes. In a few days time He would take it up again.


No comments:

Post a Comment