Pages

Monday 13 September 2021

Genesis 1:3-5 - Let there be light

1:3

“And God said “Let there be light”, and there was light”. There is a beautiful simplicity to this. God said, and there was. I must admit I get annoyed with those who get so obsessed with whether the days are twenty four hour days, or epochs, or whatever. The reason I get annoyed is that I just think “you are missing the point”. Now, I could be wrong in my approach as well, and it is almost certainly true that I do not fully appreciate all of what is going on in Genesis (but there again, neither do you!). 


1:4,5

“God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from darkness”. It is worth noting that the sun and moon have not been created at this point in the account. Now at the end of Revelation we read that there will be no need for the sun and moon because the Lord Himself will be our light. “The light was good”. On every day we see that things were good. God created a good universe. When we look at the world we still see many things that are good, that are absolutely wonderful, but not everything. It is our sin that has led to some things not being good.

“There was evening and there was morning -  the first day”. Some people go into great detail about the meaning of the word “day”. I’ll be quite honest, I don’t give a monkeys, again because it seems to be missing the point. There is such a grandeur to Genesis 1 and 2 which we so easily seem to miss. 


No comments:

Post a Comment