Pages

Wednesday 28 December 2016

Prov 19:11 - I am offended by people being offended

Apparently Richard Hammond has made a rather inane and stupid remark about sexual orientation and eating ice cream, and the predictable storm of offence has arisen. Well I am offended by people being offended. We are all far too ready to take offence, and to call for the sacking, imprisonment, vilification of anyone who says something that we construe as being offensive. We would all do well to take to heart the words of Proverbs 19:11:

A person’s wisdom yields patience; it is to one’s glory to overlook an offence.

In fact we would do well to make this a guide for the coming year. I once heard a preacher say a very wise thing, "more offence is taken than is ever given". Even when someone is deliberately trying to offend us, if we are truly firm and secure in our beliefs and ourselves then we will be far more likely to be able to act with patience and to overlook the offence. For myself, I know that if I lose my temper it is often a sign that I am wrong. If I react quietly it is usually a sign that I am right.

So let's make Proverbs 19:11 our motto for the coming year. Now, of course, I will have to be extra careful I don't take offence at anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment