Pages

Tuesday 22 October 2019

Isaiah 42:8,9 - New things I now declare

42:8
This is so important, "I am the Lord, that is my name!" The fundamental fact of life is the God is the Lord. Unless we live our lives in that light we are bound to go wrong. "I will not yield my glory to another or my praise to idols". There are always things that seek to claim to take the place of God, be it idols, or human powers. They can seem quite imposing and their claims to have some substance, but they never do. And we should never doubt that at some point God will rise up and they will be brought low. The timing will rarely suit our timing, but it will happen.

42:9

Again we get the Lord referring to His "predictive" capabilities. The whole argument against the unity of Isaiah is based on the supposed impossibility of God "predicting" Cyrus and related events. Yet the a key element of the book is God declaring and demonstrating that He is Sovereign, He alone understands the past, and He alone knows the future. I have put "prediction" in quotation marks" because it is not really prediction, but God causing the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment