Pages

Friday 5 August 2022

John 21:20-22 - You follow me!

21:20,21

Having seen the restoration of Peter, John now turns to himself. This disciple, being John, makes it clear that the “disciple whom Jesus loved” is the same disciple as this term was applied to throughout the gospel. Peter sees John and, having received such a prophecy about himself, wonders what is going to happen to John. 


21:22

Jesus says “if it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?”. Jesus had told Peter what would happen to him when he was old, so an implication of this is that the return was not imminent. Jesus’ answer certainly says that He will return. However, it does not say that John would be alive when He returns. The key point of what Jesus says to Peter is “what is that to you?”. God has different plans and purposes for each one of us. It is not fruitful for us to be comparing ourselves to others, or seeing if one is “treated better” than another. “You follow me!”. This is what all of us should be doing and concentrating upon, following Jesus. What matters most to me is “am I following Christ?”.


No comments:

Post a Comment