Pages

Friday 1 April 2011

Numbers 19 - Dealing with death

Chapter 19 contains a list of regulations about uncleanness after coming in contact with a dead body. This is a further illustration of the fact that uncleanness did not equal sinfulness. What are we to make of this as it all seems rather irrelevant to us? Well, note that there is an emphasis on the person becoming clean again. If someone we are close to dies, then it will affect us. For a time we may find it difficult to get close to God because of the emotional effect of the death. For a time we do not function as usual. This is normal. In these times God is still taking care if us and, in time, will draw us back to Himself. 
I remember a time several years ago when someone close died. I had never felt so devastated. It was also a time when God was incredibly close. It happened at Easter time, and that was the most precious Easter I had ever had. At the Good Friday service one of the readings was from John 20:11-18. The key verse for me was "Do not hold on to me.." I had to let go of the person who had died, and doing this brought a great release.
A few days later God gave me a picture of a bridge. Now when a bridge is built sometimes temporary works have to be put in place whilst the construction is completed. I felt God saying to me that while my emotions had been all over the place, He was still holding my life together until His restoration work was completed. 
God knows how to enable us to get through times of bereavement.

No comments:

Post a Comment