Pages

Monday 20 July 2009

2 Peter 2:13-16

The people who rebel against God do not just harm themselves, but they harm others too. We often hear the mantra that as long it harms no one else it is OK. While seeing the point of this it is very much a mistaken attitude. For as John Donne said, "no man is an island". Like it or not I have an effect on other people in the world, and they have an effect on me. If I live my life well then I will be a blessing to others, but if I live badly I will be a curse to others.

Peter describes the excesses of the people he is talking about. It is useful to remind ourselves that from the context he seems to be talking about Christians who have become rebellious. They had some connection with God, but then went their own way. Peter cites the example of Balaam. Now Balaam was a man who had spiritual insight, but he lacked spiritual wisdom. Instead of using his gift to serve the Lord he used it to make money and a name for himself (Genesis 22-25:1). It took a donkey to talk some sense to the man.

We need to be careful that we do not become full of our own supposed cleverness, for it will get us nowhere. And God is quite capable, as He did with Balaam, of showing us how stupid we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment