Pages

Friday 7 January 2022

John 6:35,36 - I am the bread of life

6:35

“I am the bread of life”. This is the first of seven “I am” or ego eimi statements, the others being:

  • I am the light of the world (8:12)

  • I am the gate (10:7,9)

  • I am the good shepherd (10:11,14)

  • I am the resurrection and the life (11:25)

  • I am the way, the truth and the life  (14:6)

  • I am the true vine (15:1,5)

The point is that the people should be focusing on Jesus. Instead of doubting Him, or arguing about Him, they should be putting all their effort into knowing Him and believing in Him, as should we. Jesus is the one who truly sustains us. If we go to Jesus we will never hunger or thirst. God provided miraculously for the Israelites in the desert. Where there was no food or water, God provided food and water. Life can be a desert, it can be difficult, but Christ is the one who will meet all our needs.


6:36

In 5:36-38 Jesus had charged the people of Jerusalem with unbelief, now He does the same here for the people in Galilee. Unbelief is part of the human condition, it is part and parcel of our rebellion against God. They had seen Jesus, they had seen Him do great things, but they did not believe Him. Believing in Jesus entails believing all that He says about Himself. We cannot pick and choose what bits we believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment