Pages

Wednesday 15 December 2010

Matthew 7:7-11 - God wants you to ask

“Keep on asking”. This is a clear instruction. So we are to be persistent in prayer. In many ways prayer is a mystery, and it is good to seek to understand the mystery, but at the same time we must not get paralysed by trying to analyse how prayer works.
Sometimes people say that prayer is not just about asking. This is true as far as it goes, but it is clear from the examples of prayer in the Bible, and Jesus’ teaching on prayer that asking is a major part of prayer! So keep on asking, never be restrained in asking. It is impossible to ask too much of God, and God quite clearly wants us to ask Him for things.
Jesus tells us too that our asking, seeking, knocking will be fruitful. One of the subjects I teach at university is mathematics, and there are lots of problem sheets. Now students like to know the answers to the problems, but this really does them no good unless they have gone through the process of working out how to solve the problems for themselves. They need to have spent time struggling with the problem, only then will they truly understand the solution. Prayer is like that. Sometimes we need to have spent time struggling in prayer in order to appreciate the answer.
We need have no fear in prayer. Prayer is part of a relationship with God. We need have no fear that He will give us something that is bad for us. The answer may not always be want I think I want, and may be unexpected, but it will always be good for me. I do not want God to always give me what I want, I want Him to give me what I need, and I want Him to change my heart where it needs changing (which is lots of places!).
So ask for lots, ask boldly, ask often, ask persistently, and look forward to God changing your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment