Pages

Friday 30 October 2009

Genesis - Young or Old? - Part 2

What are the arguments for an old earth? They are essentially based on three things:

  • Evidence from the rocks, such as sedimentary rocks
  • The fossil record, and it is important to note that this does not rely on assuming evolution
  • Radiometric dating

Perhaps the key underlying assumption is that the physical laws that we observe today have pertained over time. Based on this assumption geologists are able to provide a reasonably consistent explanation of what we see today. (I use the term "reasonably consistent" only because I am not a geologist, so do not want to make claims beyond my qualifications). For instance there are various radiometric dating techniques, and different methods give consistent findings.

How does this fit in with the Bible? On the one hand some will say that Genesis necessitates a young earth. However, old earthers can also claim Biblical support for their findings. For we believe that God has created an ordered universe, therefore it is reasonable to apply ordered methods to interpreting what we see around us. Some of the young earth arguments rely on specific intervention by God. Now the Bible does say that on occasion God does intervene directly in nature. Eg parting the Red Sea, the day when the sun went backwards, Jesus calming the storm. However, it is equally true that He does not do this very often. Perhaps most importantly, just because something is not miraculous does not mean that God is not directly involved.

So where do I actually stand? I am afraid the answer is "don't know, but suspect the earth is rather old". However, it seems perfectly reasonable to me to adopt an old earth point of view as a means for explaining what we find, and this does not go against the Bible.

If it wasn't such a loaded term, I would definitely describe myself as a creationist, it is just that I do not see that this demands a young earth. I see the creative work of God in all things, including the beauty of mathematics and the wonder of scientific processes.

If you look on the web, or read books on the topic, you will find all sort of arguments about the validity of geological arguments, and arguments why this or that is true or not. For me, the fundamental point is how we understand Genesis 1. If God did intend it to mean he actually took 6 physical days to create the earth, then all the geology in the world has no weight. If He did not intend this, then I am really not interested in all the debates we have about the age of the earth.

What I would say is that we should not be afraid of science, but I will say this when I talk a little about evolution next time. One thing I will say now is that at the start I said I get annoyed by people who seem to tie themselves in knots over the age of the earth. Something that annoys me even more is evolutionists making ridiculous and unscientific claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment