Pages

Wednesday 28 October 2009

Genesis - Introduction

Earlier I looked at Genesis 12-25, covering Abraham's life. Now I am going to study the first 11 chapters of Genesis. This inevitably raises questions about the age of the earth, creation, and evolution. So before embarking on the text itself I will say a few words about these matters, and my current position. You might find some of this helpful, you will almost certainly disagree with some of it and agree with other parts. However, the main reason for giving this discussion is to let you know "where I am coming from".

In fact this preamble will go on for a few days, because Genesis is the focus of the science versus religion debate. In fact I do not believe there is any contradiction between science and religion. The conflict only arises when scientists stop being scientists, and religious people go beyond what the Bible says.

Let me start with what I consider to be the most important point, and that is that God is the creator. Everything and everyone was created by God on purpose and for a purpose. In my view this is what really counts, and to grasp the significance of this is way more important than deciding whether the earth is 10 000 or several billion years old, or whether God created us in a day, or via a process of evolution.

The fact that God created me is one of the foundations of my life. When things are going well we have a creator to rejoice in and with. We can celebrate the beauty of the world, and the wonder of science.However, it is probably fair to say that it is even more important when things are difficult. There are times when I just feel like giving up, but in these times I know I cannot give up. God did not create me and save me so that I could give up. I am fearfully and wonderfully made, and made with a purpose. God created me so that His glory could be displayed in and through my life, and so that His blessing could be given to other people. When facing situations which I just do not know how to handle, or can see no way through, I know that the Creator of the Universe loves me.

And this applies to each one of us. So you can apply it to yourself. Sometimes we are tempted to write other people off, but we cannot, because God created them too. In the next posting or two I will talk a little about the age of the universe and evolution, but what I have said today is way more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment