Pages

Saturday 14 January 2017

Postscript to Some thoughts on "Understanding Gender Dysphoria" by Mark Yarhouse

Yesterday I posted Some thoughts on "Understanding Gender Dysphoria" by Mark Yarhouse, I found the book rather troubling and my thoughts were generally critical. I was worried about this and have thought more about it since. Why was I so troubled? Was I been unfair? Was I failing to appreciate the complexities of the matter? It is impossible to to the latter after reading the book! Then I realised what it was I was looking for but not finding - the power of the gospel. Now I did mention this in the original post, but now let me illustrate it more clearly, by reference to another book and another person.
One of the best books on God and homosexuality is Is God anti-gay by Sam Allberry. Sam Allberry is same-sex attracted, but he holds firmly to the straightforward Biblical teaching on the subject. More importantly in the current context, what comes over from the book, and the times I have heard him speak, is a deep love for Jesus, an absolute commitment to Him, and a real joy in his salvation. Sam is part of Living Out (among many other things), and I have heard other members speak with same joy and commitment. When I have heard them speak I am both challenged and encouraged by them. So here there is no superficial approach to the matter of homosexuality, it doesn't necessarily magically go away, but I see the power and the joy of the gospel. 
Transgenderism is a very serious matter, very serious for individuals and very serious for society. We need as the church to be able to address the issue with the love, joy and power of the gospel, and I just didn't find that in Mark Yarhouse's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment