Pages

Sunday 20 March 2016

Romans 7:20-23 - A law at work in me

7:20
This is almost an exact repeat of verse 17. In saying “it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it” Paul is not absolving us of responsibility. Rather he is emphasising the nature and seriousness of our predicament. Being free from sin is not simply a matter of changing our mind and deciding to live differently, for we will find that we are totally unable to do that. The problem of sin is much more deep-rooted. We need to be forgiven for the guilt of sin, and we need to be set free from the power of sin. The only way that that can be achieved is through the blood of Jesus and the power of the Spirit.

7:21
If we seek righteousness, and here we mean righteousness in the sense of righteous living rather than right standing, by following the Law (or law) we will be confronted with the reality that another law is at work in us. Evil is at work in our lives, living and active.

7:22,23
Why is this so? In my inner being I may well delight in God’s law, but sin is there within me as well. Sin wages war on my mind, it is opposed to what God wants. Before I knew Christ I was a prisoner to sin. Now I know Christ, if I still try to live by the principle of law, ie by trying to do the right thing in my own strength, I will find that I am still a prisoner. Being forgiven is not enough! But more importantly, being forgiven is only part of the gospel. The cross is not the end of the gospel, it is the means to the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment