Pages

Sunday 4 February 2018

"The Day the Revolution Began" - Wright or wrong? (16)

Chapter 14
Wright argues that missions has too often been “Jesus died so that we can go to heaven”. Now, as I have said on several occasions already, I am in complete agreement that salvation is much more than this. However, Wright, who is keen for us to see the fuller or deeper meaning in various phrases, should perhaps look at the fuller meaning in “Jesus died so that we can go to heaven”. Behind it says that sin is our greatest problem, that there is now something fundamentally wrong with the human race, both on an individual level and as a whole. And it then goes on to to say that on the cross God, through Christ, did something to fundamentally and concretely change that situation.
He then goes on to say some “have come to regard any talk of working for God’s kingdom in the present world as a dangerous distraction”. Well, I am sure there are such people, but I don’t know any of them. The church I am in, and many other churches I know, certainly do not hold this view.
Only one more post to go, then we'll be done! And I'll be as glad as you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment