Pages

Sunday 17 April 2016

What a bunch of wussies


You may have seen the article in several news websites last week about the student at Edinburgh University accused of violating “safe-space” rules. I read this and thought “what a bunch of wussies”. For those who are unaware, safe spaces are supposed to protect people from being offended. They are increasingly prevalent in America, and seem to be increasing here as well.

When I was a student, many moons ago, men were men ... and wore flares (guilty), platform shoes (yes, but not very high) and had long hair (longer than it is now, and more of it, but that’s not saying much). Debating and arguing was what being a student was all about, so we argued, protested, went on marches. At school there three of us who used to walk home together, a journey of about two miles or so, taking about forty minutes. On those walks we used to argue and debate, mostly about politics and religion. It is fair to say we weren’t your typical teenagers! Two of us argued the atheist case (yes I used to be an atheist), on politics I was in the minority being on the right, the other two being lefties. But we loved debating and arguing.

Now to be fair to Edinburgh University students if you read the article you will see many agreed that the “accusation” was indeed ridiculous, but the notion of “safe spaces” is spreading in the US and here. More widely, have you noticed how in many areas society is seeking to shut down debate. There are a number of views in society that increasingly you are not allowed to question or challenge without at least being accused of being a bigot.

I oppose all attempts to shut down debate, to stop views being challenged. I am perfectly happy for people to challenge Christianity.  If you hold a view and it is wrong then the sooner we find out the better. None of us have perfect ideas and listening to challenges can help us to modify and improve our understanding. Even when our views are right I find that considering questions and challenges helps us to realise just how well founded our views are.

Conversely, if someone, a group of people, or a society hold a view and will not allow that view to be questioned or challenged then ask yourself why? If their view is so solid, so right, so true, then why are they so afraid of it being challenged? There are several areas in society where this applies right now. The reason they are afraid is because their views are built on a foundation of sand.

I have been a Christian for some thirty six years or so. In that time I have found no argument to cause me to doubt the gospel. I have found nothing in my own experiences to cause me to question the reality of the Lord (that does not mean I never struggle or wonder what on earth God is doing, or never ask why. I do these things frequently, but I know that God is true even when I do not understand and may be in anguish). When I look at the world around me I find that the Bible worldview is the only one that gives a true explanation of the way things are.

The truth will never be defeated. Two thousand years ago they crucified Jesus Christ, so The Father raised Him from the dead. They persecuted the church, and have continued to do so in many times and many places, including this very day . Yet the gospel has spread throughout the earth.

Never fear the truth being challenged, for the truth will always stand. And when society says you cannot question its “wisdom” you can be pretty sure that that wisdom is in fact foolishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment